I have a friend who frequently posts to facebook starting with “pssssssst…” and then whispers some of the simplest wisdom which has clearly come from along the ages and is here in the moment to remind us of some deep source.
Several of Thurman’s lines in today’s meditation about growing up and finding your true self could follow a “pssssssst…”
- Each must do for him/herself.
- Often by trial and error, by fumblings and blunderings, here a little, there a little more, step by uncertain step, we move in the direction of self awareness.
- In this strength of intimate disclosure, each person faces his/her world, does battle with nameless forces, conquers and is defeated, wins and loses, waxes strong or weak.
- Always experience says, “Rely on your own strength, hold fast to your own resources, desert not your own mind.”
in the same sure moment, the same voice whispers, “Upon your own strength, upon your own resource, upon your own mind, at last you can not rely. Your own strength is weakness. Your own mind is shallow. Your own spirit is feeble.”
- All experience strips us of much except our sheer strength of mind, of spirit, yet; we must not finally depend upon those. Brooding over us is something more: a strength beyond our strength, giving strength to our strength.
- Sometimes in the stillness of the quiet, if we listen, we can hear the whisper of the heart giving strength to weakness, courage to fear, hope to despair.
Some people will bow a knee before an altar or spend days in the delusions of our significance; yet the whisper of the heart remains. Can you hear yours?